Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Snow or sand? I was thinking…

23rd of February
Snow or sand? I was thinking…

15 minutes before landing, the pilot announced: “We are arriving at New York blab la bla…”. By the window, sea… sea… more sea. The plane turn left and went down… Then I saw some different landscape for me, was white and dark sand and water or snow and water? I was thinking but I have not asked about it, how stupid would I be… For almost 15 minutes I was deciding if it was sand or snow…

Suddenly the plane landed on the strip and my mind went to other place… immigration. Before I come here of course I read a lot about traveling to US in internet. My generation usually do it. It’s totally normal for us. And in internet people talk about how ignorant the police can be. You need to be prepared for gentle and ignorant people. Because of that I was a little bit nervous. This is my first time in US and I was alone in the airport, I can’t speak English as well as I’d like to do.

I saw some people going with the federal police to other room… to do a private interview? Maybe… When this happened I stayed more nervous than at first minutes in American land. But all my nervousness disappeared when I passed by immigration. In my time to talk to the police I told him “good morning” he naturally answered me “good morning”. Now I will reproduce our long dialogue which endurance was almost 5 minutes :

He: Put your left hand
Me: (only put the hand to take the fingerprint. Could I ask him about his family or haw was his life? Of course not! So…)
He: Right
Me: (I put  my right hand to take the fingerprint)

Then I was in New York. Wasn’t cold… I took the Air Train to Jamaica’s Station… There was cold and I realize that in the landscape was snow! My coat wasn’t adequate. I put my gloves, my hat and come on with me… toward the 104 hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment