Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shit's origin

Discovering swear origin: meanings can be culture’s shock.

In old ages, when England have sent ships for long travels around world, they usually carried manure to fertilize the dirt for food grown. They carried manure in boxes on ship’s hold. Because of the movement and the less of free air, these boxes exploded sometimes, because the manure fermented and produced gas. Therefore, they wrote on boxes of manure: “SHIP HIGH IN TRANSIT”, phrase which means: “this boxes should go on the top of the ship to don’t cause any explosion accident. Now, read the initials of the words of that phrase. They use only the initials on boxes to more easy:

Ship High In Transit = SHIT

I knew SHIIT was a “bad word”, but I have no idea about how much it is… I listen in movies, and in Brazil we usually use this word. It’s a “swear” but isn’t very seriousness, grave, like it’s here, in US.

Considering the origin’s explanation, I really can’t understand the seriousness of this “swear”. Last Friday I was in my reading class and we were talking about teenagers. They use a lot of swearing at school, motive why we were discussing about it, we were reading a little young dialogue. My teacher spelled the word “Shit” as forbidden word which  you shouldn’t pronounce… The problem was, I had used this word pronouncing that some minutes before…

Did she spelled to give me an exemple???

Take it easy with swears, you can seem very rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment