Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How expensive is US… Can I survive here?

I took the airtrain. This train is specific for the airport, so you can imagine how big the JFK airport is. I can’t remember exactly how many stations are in the airport, I think there are eight. The stations are inside of the departures and arrivers rooms. You can take any train, don’t have anyone to control this, only to help you. “Would you like some help?” “ where are you going”. Interesting… we can use the train and we don’t pay for this… really interesting, I thought. Ok. I took the train in the forth station to Jamaica’s train… although I didn’t know what was the difference between one and other train. In the last station of airtrain I understood what was the difference… there are different trains and you have to pay for both. But the difference is… for air train you only pay when you are going out, if you are arriving at NY. So, I paid $5. I think it’s very expensive, but you have to pay…

To take the metro to Manhatan you could pay only one trip or you could buy a card for a day, for a week or for a month. I would stay in NY for five days, then I bought the week card. I could use how many times I want the train in one week, for $29. This is expensive but it’s a nice service, quick transport and many lines. Now I can say: I know a lot about the NY’s downstairs downroads I really used the metrocard.

Now let me explain… the JFK is located in east region near Jamaica Bay. And the hostel where I did my book is located in Harlem (this is Manhattan region), translating, it’s in the west. To go there I spent a long time by metro.

. I took the train A (blue line in the map) in
51st street
I changed the train taking the number 6 (green line) until
103rd street
. Easy. Really easy. But when I go out, I sow the snow near me, I sow people walking quickly, I saw people with different style, I was confused. Where I should go naw? I didn’t have a map I new I ought go to 1st avenue, so I thought when I ask the first person she/he will answer me, considering that streets are organized, everybody will know where is the first avenue. In the metro I asked to an metro’s employed. He didn’t know, so I went out. My friend, Gabrielle, told me that people from US don’t like answering/helping. She recommended me to read and hardly ever ask. But how I’m headstrong, I didn’t do it. When I went out, I asked to a lady, “excuse me where is the 1st ave?” She doesn’t know but she asked to 6 or 7 people until be sure about the direction. So, my first experience asking for directions wasn’t too bad. I had luck, she was very nice, maybe because I couldn’t speak English. And considering her accent she isn’t from US…This will be my next post in the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment